After all the aches and pains from pregnancy and the 9 months leading up to it, sometimes the pain persists and other injuries occur. This can include postnatal pain coming from the back, neck, wrist and arm! Here are a few tips to prevent injuries for all you new moms!
- Holding the baby for a long period of time can cause pain in your back. When you are soothing your baby or rocking the baby to sleep while standing, make sure you are keeping your back neutral and don’t twist with your back. Make sure your hips and lower limbs are the ones moving, not the back!
- Make sure to keep your baby close to your body, not away from it! When you hold your baby on your hip, this can cause your centre of gravity to sway out, causing pain due to imbalances.
- During feeding, make sure you have enough support on your own back. Use pillows to support you and your baby to make it ergonomic for both of you during feeding!
- When holding your baby, make sure your wrists are not flexed over a long period of time. This can cause wrist pain, making it hard to hold your baby!
- When lifting your baby, make sure your back is in neutral position (no curving!) and use your knees and hips to bend. Sometimes, you may feel the need to compromise your back when trying to lift your baby out of a crib or other places. Just make sure to brace your core. Keep your core active during your lift so that it allows support of your lower back.
At Northwest Rehab Group, we can help new moms with any prenatal and postnatal pain. Our chiropractor, Dr. Krista Camille Delos Reyes, has a special interest in prenatal and postnatal care for mothers. She provides soft tissue therapy, mobilizations, light adjustments, exercise rehab and k-tape to new moms and moms-to-be. Common issues that she treats in new moms include low back pain, neck pain, mid back pain, arm pain and wrist pain. Dr. Delos Reyes studied biology and psychology at University of Toronto. She then pursued her Doctorate of Chiropractic at Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in Toronto. She moved to Vancouver in 2017 and is the co-owner of Northwest Rehab Group.
For any questions or concerns about your injuries, we are available to answer any of your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (604)875-9779
Book on our online booking page https://nwrehab.janeapp.com today, or read more on our website at https://nwrehabbackup.wpengine.com